Timeline of the Friends of the Wilton Manors Library
A letter was written to the Florida State Library Board to create a library in Wilton Manors.
A temporary library,staffed by volunteers, opened in the Key Shop at the back of Manor Market on Wilton Drive.
Mrs.Kathleen Klein was hired as city librarian at $100 a month.
After the new City Hall opened in July 1957 on NE 21st. Court, the Library moved from the Key Shop to the refurbished Village Hall on N.E. 26th Street and 5th Avenue, its present day location.
Dedication of the first Wilton Manors Public Library.
Wilton Manors Public Library became a department of the City.
The library was expanded, doubling its size.
The Public Library Association became The Friends of the Wilton Manors Library.
Major renovations were made to the 22 year old library completed at the cost of $20,000.00; paid for by the Friends.
Library Advisory Board Chair, Wayne Schotanus helped to place a $350,000.00 bond to increase the size of the library on the ballot. He also was instrumental in securing a state grant for another $300,000.00, which allowed the library to triple in size.
Grand Opening of present day Richard C. Sullivan Public Library of Wilton Manors. $120,000.00 in new furnishings were paid for by the Friends. Richard C. Sullivan also donated $40,000.00 to complete the furnishing of the children’s wing.
With the retirement of long-time Library Director Marcia Ellington, the Library becomes a division of the new Leisure Services Department which includes Parks and Recreation.
Richard C. Sullivan passes away and leaves a bequest of $280,000.00 to pay off the remaining bond debt if the library bears his name.
City Commission approves renaming the Wilton Manors Public Library as the Richard C. Sullivan Public Library of Wilton Manors.
50th Anniversary celebration of the Wilton Manors Public Library.